Thursday, April 28, 2005

Peace officers vs. Law Enforcement

Is there a difference?

From Nate's The Pan Galactic Blogger Blaster, (aka "I-pick-a-really-long-name-for-my-blog-so-I-can-force-carpal-tunnel-syndrome-on-those-who-link-to-me--HAHAHA!"):
For example... A peace officer really doen't give a crap if you're wearing a seatbelt or not. You ain't hurtin' anyone, and you ain't stirin' up a ruckus. A law enforcement officer most certainly does mind. If you're drivin' down an empty stretch of I-40 at 4am at 100mph, a peace officer really doesn't care. You ain't botherin' nobody but the deer. But an LE? He'll take you to jail for that.

LE's worry about the size of the tank on the back of your toilet. PO's worry about very little... least of which is what some politician 300 miles away thinks.

40 years ago we had Peace Officers. We traded them for the "security" offered by Law Enforcement. Freedom loving people around the country lament that fact every day.

I had never thought about this before, but then again, I had never viewed policemen, etc., as "peace officers", either.

Durn good point, Nate.