Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Just say "No!"

To Cops...

From The Claire Files (an online archive of privacy-advocating author Claire Wolfe's excellent writings, comes this bit of advice on dealing with police and other government agents--an oldie, but a goodie...
"My little brother's been arrested -- and I think it might be my fault!"

"Your fault?"

"Yeah. I was visiting my mother down in the City when this policeman came to the door, and he said he said he was investigating a break in in the neighborhood, and I let him in the house and. ..."

"You what?" demanded a voice from the doorway.

More required reading.

Remember, if you aren't initiating the contact, the police are most likely not your friend.

And if you haven't read any of Claire's work before, she's required reading. (If you didn't know, Claire is the one who originated the phrase, "America is at that awkward stage: It's too late to work within the system, and too early to shoot the bastards.")