Sunday, January 30, 2005

Time: Who's is it?

Today's Mini-Sermon

Since an entrepreneurial endeavor with a close friend, wherein we worked an average 85 hour work week without working either Sundays or the majority of Saturdays, I've been quite jealous of my time, far past the point of selfishness. My attitude has been such that any time not spent on me is considered wasted. I've known for some time that this is the wrong attitude, but was reminded this morning while doing my devotions that my time is not mine--it's God's.

If, as a Christian, I'm going to submit my life to the Lord and give it all to Him, then my time needs to be His as well. To what level should I take that principle? Do I need to sell all my goods, give the money to the poor, and head to Africa to live among the savages? Do I give up all earthly desires: nice home, enjoyable career, vacations, hobbies? Or is just being a bright candle in a dark world enough?

I don't think the Lord begrudges us a little earthly happiness, as long as it doesn't interfere with our pursuit of heavenly riches. If we're putting our Christian responsibilities anywhere less than Number One on our priority list, we need to rethink those priorities.

And being a candle is just a start: God wants lighthouses.