Saturday, May 28, 2005

Expatriation

Time to start thinking about moving

I've started thinking about moving. Out of the country. (Pending my wife's support and agreement, of course. I think she reads this blog every so often. Hi, Pookie!)

Two or three years ago, this would have been all but out of the question: I have no desire to learn the idiosyncricies of another culture--much less another language. I do love America, but I find myself loving it for what I imagine it to be, not for what it is. I no longer live in The Land of the Free.

I'm fairly certain this won't be necessary for three to five years, at least.

I simply won't be told how to live. I won't be attached to a National ID card. I won't be told how to raise my children. I won't be denied my rights--they are not negotiable, nor are they subject to the whims of politicians. I won't be pushed around.

The country is rapidly sliding into totalitarianism, and it is really pissing me off.

I'm not the first to enumerate these complaints, and I certainly won't be the last-- more and more folks will realize the direction the country is heading, and they just may be smart enough to be really, really pissed.

Question is: Will enough people reach that stage--the "I'm not going to take this anymore" stage--to make a difference, before it's all gone?

If my friends and acquaintances are an indication of the percentage of those aware of what's going on and willing to fight for freedom, then it's pretty much a lost cause.

I hope my new country has internet access. Where to go, where to go...